Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cabin Fever

Well, it’s week number... six I think? Don't really like counting because it going by pretty quickly now. But yes, I’m doing well. Brushing my teeth, playing nice with the other Anziani, eating my greens, and wearing my retainer. Thanks for your letters I really enjoy them! Wel,l here's a quick summary of some things that have happened this week and maybe even a few thoughts that cross my mind as I draft up this here letter...

"It’s the onnnnly way to flyy!" – It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
We got our flight plans a couple days ago! We leave from Salt Lake City going to the Dallas at 12:15. We are flying American Airlines. There we say goodbye to our Milano and Romanian friends and split off into groups of 11 to go to our missions.  My group has a flight at 4:45 pm to London flying British Airways. Then we have a flight London to Rome at 11:00 am. Pretty exciting I think. I also am hoping that we are in the same terminal as the Cafe Rio so I can get my last bite of 'Mehican' Food before it’s pasta and pizza for the next two years!

A lot of my district, bless their hearts, brought literally hundreds of pounds of stuff to take. They have to ship all of their stuff home this week because they can't take it Italy. (My companion literally has half a suit case full of exercise equipment and the other half is full of food.) I'm glad I'm from a family that travels a lot so I know how to pack!

"Don't mind him he's just hackin' on a bone” – Christmas Vacation
So this week we have noticed that every day (mostly every morning) we come back into our room and a lot of the food has been missing. Well last night I woke up to the sound of rustling rappers to see our District Leader just going to town on our pile of food! Every night he sneaks in after we've gone to bed and eats our snacks!! What a skunk. We have to lock our door at night now, which stinks because the AC is still out and it gets super hot in there... But it's a small price to pay to keep the district leader from committing sin.

"Rasta Man Never Die!" - Hawaiian Flee Market Man (Claimed Bob Marley's Cousin)
I sent some pictures of Adam home last week and he seems to be doing really good. He is going to the West Indies where it is palm trees and 90 degrees year round. He is super excited to go and is really looking forward to serving in some of the small Rastafarian villages. I don't know if I mentioned this, but he is in my same building so I see him a lot, and the West Indies missionaries before him. There really is just a personality that they call to that mission because the missionaries who just left are the exact same people who just came in. It's funny how that works.

"You’re nocturnal! Your eyes don't see well even on a good day!"
More problems with the classroom. They fixed the AC. Yay. But now all the lights have burned out in our classroom... I went to go talk to the maintenance people and they said they would fix it... Hmm... A week later they hadn't fixed it so I talked to them again and they said they probably won't replace them... WHAAT??? They said when we leave they are remodeling the whole building and don't really want to fix them because it’s getting torn out anyways... So this week the classroom is literally sooo dark because we just have a little window in the corner. But at least we leave in a few days. Kinda weird that they wouldn't replace them though considering we can barely read in there? Che sara sara...as they say in Italia...

"Caro Padre Celeste"
Yes, Italian is still incredibly frustrating and hard, but I'm trying my best by golly. But one thing that I like about Italian (yes, I'm getting to that point) is the style of prayer. In English we pray very formally and always use Thees, Thous, and what nots... It even says to do that in the White Hand Book—to use formal language. But in Italian you are supposed to pray informally and casually like you are talking to a really close friend. Our teachers kind of explained it this way... In Italian, mostly because of the Catholic Church, prayer is very rigid, structured, and extremely formal. So the people of Italy use the casual form to show that prayer is not supposed to be like that and that God loves and cares for us so that we can actually talk with him. I think that is pretty cool. I was wondering if French or Danish was formal or informal?

"Tanti Aguri a Te (Happy Birthday to You)"
It was my Companion's Birthday this week. I wished him a happy 12th birthday and am making him a little card today and an origami heart. But the day after his Birthday was our teacher's birthday so we took a lot of the stuff that my Companion got and re-gifted it for our teacher. Don't really know how my companion felt about this. He went along with it though? He doesn't speak up much, so we really don't know what he's thinking. But in any case, he was happy that his presents could be used to brighten up somebody else's day. :)

"We're trapped here like rats! Small little rats with no hair and one leg!" - Radio, Brave Little Toaster
Well if I thought it was cabin fever last week... This week has been pretty rough for the district now that we have our travel plans. Kind of weird to think that a week from now I will be in the Italia speaking to real people. Kind of weird to think that there are actually real people out in the world. But we are supa' excited to go.

"..."
Roma lost to Milano this week in soccer. That’s all that needs to be said. But! I made a small 2 ft by 2 ft four square court in our hallway. We play with a lacrosse ball. I am proud to say that Roma always takes home the Gold in that though!