Wednesday, July 31, 2013

First Email from Italy

I am sorry but I do not have much time today to write the normal email I would because.. yet again.. my P-Day is being cut short.. So this email won't have clever quotes or many stories! Sorry! I'll do my best in the little time I have. My companion has to fly to Rome for Zone Leader Conference (of which he is... a Zone Leader) and we have to catch Trains, Ferries, Boats, and Planes to get where we need to be in about 1 hour... So that leaves about 37 minutes to email right now... I am not going to Rome.. I am going to a nearby City for a couple days while he is in Rome.

It is my first week in the land of Italy and this email is also going to encompass the past two weeks as well because we were flying on P Day and we couldn’t really email last week. I am sure you are wondering where I am right now… Well, before you read I want you to guess….

...

Wrong...

I am in Messina! It is on the the beautiful Island of Sicily (I've nicknamed her Baptism Island). This town is pretty crazzay. It is right next to Italy like literally swimming distance from the mainland... But for some strange reason these here I-talians havent built a bridge between the mainland and island. But the town aacrossed the way is called Reggio and there are missionaries over there. Just one set of Missionaries and the two cities are practically the same mission because we go to Reggio and Reggio comes to Messina 3-4 times a week. 

That is where I am actually going right now. My Companion is going down to Catania (2.5 hours away) to the Airport and I am catching the ferry to Reggio. We both will not have companions.. Sketchy situation.. especially with me going to Reggio with my limited Italian and no phone to trying to find the Reggio Missionaries. Va Bwa (Thats actually my favorite Italian Word. Its slang for Whatevs)

The language in Italia is crazy. People speak reaal fast compared to what I am used to. But I am understanding more and more everyday. Wow... Email time is already halfway over so I'll tell my stories really quickly!! So the first few hours we got to Messina we had an appointment with some less active members and the whole time I just had no clue what they where saying because they were only speaking Messinese to each other.. And then only Siciliano to the member who was present.. And then really really fast Italian to us. My companion said he really only under like 10% of the whole lesson because they where not speaking Italian. But I had fun and put in my testimony at the end.

Italy is really broken up in languages actually. Most people on the street speak Siciliano or Messinese (Old people mostly Messinese) and then when we talk to them they will speak Italian. But its crazy how many languages there are. Every city (especially in Sicily according to my companion) has really distinct languages that really are not common to each other. That is why everybody speaks Siciliano. Mamma Mia. So much to learn!

It is really pretty here though. There are palm trees and beaches and literally like 50+ cathedrals here. They are really beautiful, old, and big. The average size on one is about the size of a stake center but then 8 stories tall and then a bell tower on top of that. Every block has about 2 or 3 cathedrals. I've only counted about 50 but if you go up into the hills and to other towns they are literally just everywhere! They are beautiful but sometimes it is hard to street contact in the shadow of these huge buildings. But surprisingly everybody is really really really friendly and they will listen to us for like 10 minutes even if they are busy. I really respect that about the Italian is that they are really respectful of the Mormom missionaries (But they hhaaattteee the Jehovas Witnesses. Its funny actually)

The stereotypes of Italians are all true in Sicily. Old men sit in the Piazzas and yell at each other and everybody uses their hands. All of the hand gestures mean stuff to. I've learned like 30 already. The Italian hang all their laundry acrossed the windows in alley ways and they poke their heads out of their windows and yell at each other (happens all the time and I love it). The food is super good as well! 

The ward is awesome. We have about 40 people who attend church regulary and all the members are really strong and friendly. We have a lot of Sri Lankin members about 10. They all have a lot of faith and love the Book of Mormon more than anything in the world. All of the members don't wear normal suits to church. The suits here in Sicily all have zippers and stripes and funky laples. I love them. They are incredibly cheap to. Like the price of a pair of jeans in America. Clothes are suppper cheap here and super classy as well. But I love the ward. They are all very beautiful (Italians are just beautiful people) and very spiritual. They love the missionaries to. We have a sister from our ward serving in Switzerland, Soeur Bounonotte. The Buononottes wants to invite us to dinner sometime.

They eat horse in Sicily. We are going to buy some in the market when my comp gets back from Rome on Friday.

The Street Vendors love the Mormom Missionaries. They don't care for our message but they are super friendly! The Africans are wayy awesome and wayy friendly (They are the Street Vendors). The bar tendors also love us. When we pass by the bars they always offer us free juice and soda. Much needed in this hot weather.

There is a prison nearby and every time a prisoner is let free they have a firework show. Its cool! There was a few shows this week.

Holy Cow there is so much to say!

My companion is a great guy. His name is Anziano Stewart. He has been here for 9 months.

So everybody that serves on the mainland says Sicilia is like a 3rd world country. Its just really really different from the mainland. People are friendly though but things are a lot poorer on the Island nowadays. You can't drink the water in Sicily (except for Catania and Palermo). Sometimes the water goes out. But its all good. We also have a really big apartment which is nice. There is one set of elders and one set of sisters in Messina right now. We have small AC unit which is nice.

English class is fun. We have about 30 people come every week in the summer. In the winter around 100!! But I taught the advance class and all we teach in there is American slang phrases. We have 4 advanced students and they love learning Americans phrases like: Stoked! Pumped! Sick! See you Later Alligator! They also love saying to me "See you see big baboo" 

Italians hate AC and they think it makes them sick to sit by them. So in church everybody sits on the opposite side of the AC unit.

We have to go now... Here is my address for the next 3 transfers (Fact.) Hey listen. President Waddups said not to send packages though! When we pick up packges we as missionaries have to pay like 70 US Dollars to even recieve them. Also the mail system here is a little corrupt as well and Elders and Sisters have had their packages tampered with and stuff stolen from them. The further south you go it is more common and especially in Sicila. Also the post men sometimes slit letter open. Boh.

Via Trento 2L 98123
Messina
Italy

Ciao Ciao Ciao Ciao Ciao (Old people say it like 12 times when you say good bye each time it gets slower and softer)