Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Extension to the Short Letter

Here are some questions from Mom that I will respond to.

How did you get to Sciacca? Train, bus? Did you travel alone?
Bus Rides for sure. There are no trains going to Sciacca and the further south and west you get the less reliable the trains. So. I met my new companion in Catania (there was chaos there as always with transfers) and we left on the bus. 

How did you meet up with Elder Zito?
Anziano Zito... Met him in Catania along with his grin and glasses. 

What is your new apartment like? What is this quiet little seaside town like?
The apartment is actually super nice. The town itself is super duper old. Everybody lives in these 300 years pueblos but our building looks like 5 years old. Really nice and new. The town is super small and quiet though. Everybody knows everybody and everybody has pretty much the same last name. It is definitely a sea side town. Most people work in little family owned shops and a lot of people work on little fishing boats. And everybody knows the missionaries already so it’s really interesting the work we do here is interesting.

Are you now in the Palermo district or Catania?
Palermo Zone. Agrigento district.. The two towns are pretty similar. Agrigento has got some sweet Greek temples I want to go see one of these days. 

It looks like Elder Stewart is still in the middle of the island. Will you see him ever?
Anziano Stewart is actually in my district. I will see him every week. They always change where he though because that city is so close to other cities to be in a district with.

Do you love the new area? Is it pretty? Are the people nice to you?
Yes. Yes. And Yes.

What do you have in common with Elder Zito? Are you picking up more Italian?
Zito is practically American. I always joke with him and ask where he learned so much Italian. But Zito really just has a sarcastic sense of humor and knows a ton of English (he always mixes us him and her a lot so I get confused sometimes). But he is great. AN AMAZING COOK.

I taught Zito "You can say that again!" But a few hours later he said to me.. "Repeat that". So I did... Then about 10 minutes later I realized what he meant to say. 

Are you getting along? What do you eat? Clean apartment?
Yes. We eat like kings. And as Zito said when I first walked into the apartment. "Yeahhh... Sorry for the mess... We kind of live like Gypsies here." 

Did you lose anything in the move? Retainer?????
Not sure yet. Haven’t really been in Sciacca that long.

Are things different on the other side of the island?
Boy howdy. 

Do you have a mailing address?
Yes. But no. Send stuff to Rome. Sciacca is a Moff town. Mail will get stolen. 

Are you and Elder Ziti the only missionaries in Sciacca?
Yes. I think I am also the only English speaker within like 2 hours of here. 

I pulled up some You Tube videos from the travel bureau in Sciacca. So beautiful! So many fishing boats and the Cathedral. Can you send pictures?
Not today.

Ciao.