Monday, January 6, 2014

Transfers Calls!

Well, the Holiday Fest is still not over here in Italy. Today is another big holiday. All the people were in the town square dressed in old fashioned clothes and lighting off cannons. Got some great video of it. Classic. People yelling in Siciliano and gun powder smoke everywhere. Tonight there is a huge festivity and a Nativity! Also... There is a city holiday today as well and in the night they have a bunch of witches come and give gifts to the little children. (I wish I could explain more but here in Messina these withes are more like the Santa Claus in America... They don't really do Santa much.) But we are going to try to do some English Course finding and enjoy the festivities until the holidays are over.

But because the holiday hasn’t really end yet it is hard to meet with people. Members included. We did however meet with Pino again (Our friend with one eye... He was on the scene about 4 months ago but then disappeared. But he is back and has a baptism date.) He is cool. He is also a doctor. Smart guy. 

Oh! Also. New Year’s here was crazy. It was too dangerous to be on the streets because on New Year’s everybody sits on their roofs and throws fireworks and these bombs (seriously...bombs…they cause damage) from their roofs for like 7 hours straight. Nobody was in the streets but the whole city all day was just the sounds of bombs! Also some great videos. At midnight everybody switched from bombs to aerial fireworks and the city was craaazzzy. Honestly I have never seen such a city. It was way cool because we are right next to Italy and you can see everybody shooting off fireworks on the mainland and also a whole bunch of boats where on the Straight shooting off fireworks. Seriously way cool. We also managed to teach a lesson that day with a swell guy named Maurizio! He knows he should get baptized but is afraid of his family.


Also... Ciccio has not come to church the past 3 weeks. He is officially a less active member... Made us sad… But at least he was baptized!

TRANSFER CALLS.

Well Sir. The day has come that I am leaving Messina.

SCIACCA! (pronounced Shockah)

Still on the Island of Sicily!

Sciacca is on the opposite side of Sicily and is the smallest city in the mission in population. Classic little city. Really it is just a small little town in the country side of Sicily. It is one of 3 cities that are famous in the mission for just being really small and quiet.

The branch there has a whopping 6 members.

I am actually really excited. It will be fun to be in just a little tiny town in the countryside. My new companion is named Anziano Zito. He is Italian from Alessandria, Italy (North Italy). He is known for being the best cook in the mission because he worked at his mom’s restaurant pretty much all his life. 

Super excited for the food. Super nervous about the language because now I have to speak only Italian....24 hours a day. 7 days a week. I guess I got what was coming to me though. I am not gonna lie I kinda of really dislike Italian and it really is super hard for me. My Italian is super duper stinky and I really am like 6 months behind in my language abilities. Anzaino Zito is super cool though and will help me out. 

Anziano Cicon is staying in Messina and he will be training. I guess I just prepare my companions for training?

Bye bye. Have a nice and happy new year.