Monday, October 13, 2014

Funeral Sunday

What was coolest thing you saw this week?
One of the first things that comes to mind is me and Anziano Jones were doing exchanges this week in Lecce and we were talking with a nice couple next to the Roman Theater in Lecce. But as we were talking to this woman all these crazy people started coming up to us (seriously tons!). One would leave and 5 seconds later another one would come. Asking us all sorts of questions. After about 10 minutes of people coming up to us we finally managed to talk to the couple again. It was super strange. 

What was the hardest thing you did this week?
This week we had a really awesome member named Nicla die here. Almost of the branch was baptized thanks to her and everybody knows her. She got cancer and became very sick. I had the chance to home teach her and to clean her house. She also used to teach Gospel Principles with me. She was really an awesome lady. Her husband Kim is really awesome to. He is American.

What were your duties church yesterday and did you have any investigators?
Yesterday in church we did not have really anybody in church because Nicla died yesterday morning. All the members except for about 5 went to the hospital. So we did sacrament with about 0 people in church and then we all went to the hospital. In Italy they do the funerals within 24 hours of the death. In the hospital they had small chapels below where people can meet and say their regards.

So yesterday we all met as a branch and organized how we would help the family and then late that night we went and did the sacrament as a branch in their home. We sang hymns and it was a really tender moment. I blessed the sacrament. That was a really tender memory for me this week.

Today we had the funeral in church. Lots of people. Lots of work transforming the church into a suitable place for a funeral. After emailing we have to clean it all up.

What was your miracle of the week?
I really like branches how they can come together to help out a family. Especially these Italian Saints. They have to give up a lot to be members here. A lot. So the church then becomes their family.

Meet the Mormons?
I read something about it on lds.org during conference. But... I think it is only in English so I don’t know if it will be of much use here. That is super cool that the church is making movies and is all about social media now.

What Do I eat each Day?
Pasta. Lots of pasta. I have been trying to mix it up with rice. But Italians eat different kinds of pasta everyday so that is all they sell in stores. It is really hard to eat diverse. 

Duties of a District Leader?
I plan the weekly District Meeting where we talk about work and I give a training about various things. This next week I am giving a training about the pre-Earth Earth and learning to love.

Do I miss Sicily?
Sicily was awesome. I really loved Sicily. I would love to go back. But I don’t think that is what is going to happen to me. I honestly don’t know if I will ever see that island ever again. Sciacca and Palermo are just so hard to get to. I really love Sicily though.