Monday, November 17, 2014

A New Kind of Missionary Work

Has there been any talk there about the meeting President Eyring is attending with the Pope? Any plans for President Eyring or Elder Perry to meet with the missionaries while they are there this week?

So I guess some apostles are here in Rome. I have not really heard much about it other than they went to the church on the other side of Rome (the really nice area of town) and they spoke to the members and missionaries there. President did tell us that the Pope is going to give the opening remarks for this conference and President Eyring will give the closing. Pretty cool. The conference is all about the family but other than that I do not know what is going on. 

Today for P-day we are playing soccer on some fields right next to the Vatican. Maybe we will stop by to see what is happening.

What was your best experience this week?
This week I got my first member referral in my mission. Her name is Timy. She is from China and her husband is Italian. She speaks pretty well. The member asked us to meet her because their kids play soccer together and all the moms went out for coffee and the member did not get one. So Timy was curious why. We are hoping to meet with her again this week.

Who was the most interesting person you talked to this week?
This week we had to do an exchange with some elders this week. We have been a little concerned about these elders and the quality of their work. So during our exchange they took me out to meet with one of their investigators... We took a 2 hour bus to get there and we show up to a huge castle looking villa. Fountains, turrets, long driveways, multiple buildings, vines on all the walls. Super classy looking place. So we go inside to find this investigator (I was very impressed at first at this place where she lives)... I see about 20 people dressed in really funny clothes walking around the grounds mumbling under their breaths. A few of them where sitting on benches or sprawled out on the lawn. After about 20 seconds I realized that we were in an insane asylum. So we find this woman and give her a copy of the Liahona and what have you and then I wanted to get straight out of there. I have no clue how they found this woman... I think the doctors of that place and I agree that she may not have need of a baptism. 

Oh man... This zone has a lot of trouble maker missionaries that kind of like to waste time.

What was church like yesterday?
It was good. Not all that much to report. It is really weird being in a ward and not a branch. I am not really sure what to do or who to talk to.

What was your miracle of the week?
We did our Zone Conference this week about member missionary work. Anziano Budd has had a lot of success with member missionary work so he knew what to talk about during the conference. I felt kind of weird because 100% of my investigators have been found through my own efforts. But it is with members that people are baptized. It was a good conference and went well.